According to survey statistics, the average household has more than ten appliances. If we count our mobile devices, then there will be more. If you live in an older home, there may not be enough sockets to plug in all the devices you have basis. Most homes use electrical extension boards to meet the growing demand for electricity in the house, allowing our multiple electrical devices to charge smoothly. However, they fail to realize that there can be severe consequences of plugging too many appliances into a single outlet, which may even set your home on fire.
Electrical extension board are designed to carry more equipment. When several devices or appliances draw electricity from the electric extension board, it adds to the socket’s total load. When the power drawn exceeds the electrical extension board handling capacity, it overloads the plug extension board. All power sockets in the home also have a maximum power limit. The power socket will overload when too many high-power devices or faults in the circuit are used.
In addition to creating a dangerous fire, overloading an electrical outlet board can cause electrical damage or circuit failure. Below we will give you some ways to check and prevent overloading.
The problems caused by an overloaded outlet extension board can land all the home members in danger. There are a few warning signs to look out for that indicate that a circuit is overloaded:
Overload protection button trips frequently
The extension board is seriously hot
The socket led indicator light flickers or dims.
The burning odour emanates from the switches or outlets.
Appliances fail to draw enough power.
How to Avoid Overloading Your Electrical Extension Board？
Do not use electrical socket extension in a daisy chain.
Major appliances (refrigerators, washers, microwave ovens, air conditioners, etc.) should be plugged directly into their wall outlet since they are heavy power electrical appliances.
Do not expose to the sun, and do not use indoor power outlet extensions board outdoors.
Keep extension boards away from water sources.
Do not plug-in appliances that exceed the total power of the electric extension board.